Thursday, November 9, 2023

Rochester, NY: B&O Railyards including Lincoln Park Locomotive Service Facility

Lincoln Park: (Satellite, it still has part of the roundhouse.)
North Classification : (Satellite)
South Classification: (Satellite)

I recognized Rochester as one of the terminal cities for B&O's branch into New York State. According to a USGS map, this route is now owned by the Rochester and Southern Railroad.

1952 Rochester West and Genesee Junction Quads @ 24,000

I first found the classification yards. But when I could not find a roundhouse in ether of them, I looked some more. Since Rochester was the terminus of the B&O route and this was 1952, it had to have a roundhouse. That is when I disovered that this roundhouse was part of B&O instead of NYC.
1952 Rochester West Quad @ 24,000

Bob Zimmermann posted nine photos with the comment: "After I met Leo, the chief mechanic in Rochester, NY, he gave me the go-ahead to take photos around the Lincoln Park roundhouse facility.  I shared my photos and newspaper articles with him after he finished his chores.  He was old enough to have worked on a B&O Presidential Pacific in the days of steam."
1
My first look at a diesel control stand - a well-worn B&O F7A. Facing south to take a "rounder" to Salamanca.

2
F7A engine room

3
Control stand for B&O GP9 6433

4
Control stand for B&O GP9 6433, second photo

5
Long hood doors open on B&O 6592

6
Control stand for B&O GP30 6911

7
Control stand for B&O GP40 4012

8
Ladder on the sand tower

9
View from the sand tower ladder

Bob Zimmermann posted five photos with the comment: "B&O EMD switchers in Lincoln Park, Rochester, NY - NW2 and SW900.  NW2's were run cab-to-cab pairs and referred to by local crews as "the twins."  I'm impressed with what they could move, in contrast to high-horsepower diesels."
1

2

3

4
David Cenci: 9408, built as BO 633 (SW900) is now at the BO museum as BO 633.

5

Bob Zimmermann posted six photos with the comment:  "Some of my black and white photos from 50 years ago in Rochester, NY.  B&O mechanic Leo invited me to shadow him as he inspected F7 road power.  Later, he gave me permission to go anywhere around the Lincoln Park facilities to take pictures."
1
View of the turntable and steam era bunk house at Lincoln Park. July 1972

2
B&O F7A under the sand tower, ready to lead a southbound train from Rochester. December 1972

3
Leo checking lubricant levels under a B&O GP9 in a cinder pit. February 1973

4
Interior of the Lincoln Park roundhouse. May 1973

5
Local switcher GP9 6587 with wagon top caboose, and two F7A's waiting to go out southbound. July 1974

6
GP9 6521 near the north end of the B&O's Belt Line, switching Greece Lumber. Only a quarter mile away from my home. July 1974

Bob Zimmermann reposted the five photos that are in his first post at the top of these notes with the comment:
More photos from B&O's Lincoln Park facility.  Most of the roundhouse building remains, at West Ave and Buffalo Rd in Rochester, NY.  The office portion was demolished when a boxcar rolled into it, and the other side was partly removed.  On my first visit, Leo took me from the F7A cab into the engine room, saying "Don't be scared, just don't touch nothin'."  With his permission, I returned later with a tripod to take better photos.  After Leo finished his duties, we sometimes sat in the office, where I showed him my photos and scrapbooks.  When he spotted a B&O Presidential Pacific, he nonchalantly remarked "I worked on them."
Dennis DeBruler commented on Bob's post
Part of the roundhouse is still standing,
 https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1504184,-77.6532416,133m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&entry=ttu





No comments:

Post a Comment