C&O: (Satellite)
![]() |
Muncie Railroad Preservation Society posted New York Central EMD E7A #4026 with 2 others stopped at Union Station in Muncie, Indiana July, 1968 John E Lacefield: Wysor street station? Jim Kelling: John E Lacefield no, South Walnut street; Wysor street has the former C&O station which is restored. Bill Edrington: Nice shot. This would be #316, the remnant of the Cleveland Special, enroute from Indianapolis to Cleveland with mail in Flexi-Vans and a coach for whatever passengers showed up. |
![]() |
Muncie Railroad Preservation Society posted New York Central EMD NW2 #8807 at Muncie Union Station, 1968. At midnight on February 1, 1968, the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central Railroad merged. This was the largest merger to date: It created America's sixth-largest corporation and the nation's largest transportation company. Muncie Railroad Preservation Society shared |
NKP/LE&W was on the north side of Union Station, and NYC was on the south side. This map does not mark the location of the C&O depot even though there is room.
![]() |
1952/53 Muncie East and West Quads @ 24,000 |
![]() |
Nov 8, 1948 @ 46,200; AR1HV0000010005 |
Trailhead/C&O Depot
![]() |
Street View, Dec 2021 |
As "trailhead" implies, the C&O route is now abandoned, and the route is used by the Cardinal Greenway.
![]() |
Kyle Johnson, Feb 2017 |
The railroad next to the trail at the depot that we see on the right in the above view is a connector between LE&W's north/south and east/west routes through town.
![]() |
Map via NKPHTS via Dennis DeBruler |
No comments:
Post a Comment