Roundhouse: (Satellite, the land is now used by a stripmall.)
Depot: (Satellite, provided by Chris P. Bacon post below.)
Freight House: (Satellite, provided by Chris P. Bacon post below.)
When electricity made oil and gas lights obsolete, it sounds like they tried to transition to glass insulators.
![]() |
| Historic Fort Steuben posted and instagram 🏭 Quick History: Acme Glass Works, Steubenville (c. 1800s–1900s) One of Steubenville’s major industries, Acme Glass Works was founded by skilled glassmakers (many from Pittsburgh) and operated for decades by the Gill Brothers Company. By the early 1900s, it had grown into one of the largest lamp-chimney factories in the United States. Acme produced lamp chimneys, globes, reflectors, and early electrical glassware—vital for oil, gas, and early electric lighting. At its peak, the factory turned out hundreds of thousands of chimneys each week, shipping across the U.S. and overseas. With rail access, nearby fuel sources, and a large skilled workforce, Acme helped make Steubenville a true “Workshop of the World.” The plant employed hundreds and played a major role in the city’s economy and community life. |
When electricity made oil and gas lights obsolete, it sounds like they tried to transition to glass insulators.
A study in photo colorization.
![]() |
| PeachRidgeGlass, this webpage has photos of a lot more glass factories |
![]() |
| ebay |
![]() |
| ebay |
The only industrial development was on the south side of the city. The W&LE was by the river and this plant. The railroad that went through the town and over the bridge was the Pennsy.
![]() |
| 1904/04 Steubenville Quad @ 62,500 |
Pennsy (Panhandle) Roundhouse
It does show up on the above topo map. Both railroads through town and the one across the river were owned by Pennsy.
![]() |
| Historic Fort Steuben posted The Steubenville Round House, shown on the 1877 map of Steubenville, Ohio, stood at the corner of Washington Street and North 7th Street. [The rest of the description is roundhouse platitudes.] |
Pennsy (Panhandle) Depot
![]() |
| Chris P. Bacon posted The third generation station on the PCC&St.L line was constructed by the PRR which built a larger station at the same location as the station listed above. Sanborn maps show a larger station building there with the date built as 1911 listed (PRR valuation records confirm that date). This new station included a tunnel under the tracks with stairs or an elevator to a platform with a canopy between the tracks. (GPS: 40.36185,-80.617343). |
Pennsy (Panhandle) Freight House
![]() | |
| Chris P. Bacon posted | A second generation freight house was constructed just north of the original freight house at the corner of 6th and North Streets in 1881 (according to PRR valuation records). (GPS: 40.363542,-80.616603) |

.webp)

.webp)




No comments:
Post a Comment