Monday, March 8, 2021

Hollis, IL: TP&W Water Tower

(Satellite)

John Stell posted
TP&W Water tower with westbound train. Picture marked Mapleton but I think may be Hollis. Date and photographer unknown. John Stell collection.
[The comments agree that it was probably at Hollis instead of Mapleton.]

Dennis DeBruler commented on John's post
Hollis is an example of where the more maps I looked at, the more confused I got. I also learned that the Peoria Terminal Company was a subsidiary of the Rock Island.
I put a black rectangle around the dot that I presume was the water tower. Purple was the combined trackage of PTC and TP&W whereas red and blue were their separate tracks. Yellow was the C&NW. Green was the Peoria & Pekin Union.

Dennis DeBruler commented on John's post
I analyzed the routes in 1939 to help me determine where to put the pink dot on a contemporary satellite view.
Red is the TP&W. (Where does the Keokuk Junction start?) Yellow is the UP. Green is the P&PU remnant that is now connected to UP to serve the Cargill Salt transload facility. PTC is gone.

Dennis DeBruler commented on John's post
I did a quick look at 1939 Mapleton to see if I could find a water tower dot. I could not.




No comments:

Post a Comment