Friday, March 19, 2021

East St. Louis, IL: Railroad Terminals

(Satellite, a lot of trees along the river tells me the former railroad yards are too polluted to develop.)

The day after I came across a good map for the railroads in Jersey City, NJ, I came across this 1897 map for East St. Louis.
safe_image for John W. Barriger III Nation... Flickr

David Cantrell posted
Wiggins Ferry Terminal Map of East St. Louis
Missouri Historical Society

The highest resolution is an incredible 123 megabyte file that some Microsoft software had a hard time handling. Fortunately the 6144 x 3643 file is quite readable. I used that as the source for this upload to test how much resolution Blogspot would retain. I like that it clearly shows the roundhouses. I did not realize that the 1874 Eads Bridge was still the only bridge by 1897. That emphasis how revolutionary it was.
Flickr

When I assigned labels to this post, I was reminded that 1897 was long before Chicago & Alton and Mobile & Ohio merged to form GM&O. Vandalia became Pennsy. CP&StL must have been the Cloverleaf, which became the Nickle Plate. TSTL and KCRR became C&NW.

I have already studied some railroads in the area:
Note that a McCormick Harvesting plant was right next to Deering Harvesting plant. It would be a few years before both of them became part of the creation of International Harvester. And they are both just a block away from the main road in town, Broadway.
Screenshot of map

(The copy downloaded from the blog is 2048 x 1214. So they have increased the resolution from 1600 pixels across to compete with Facebook's current max resolution.)
Comments on Facebook

David Cantrell posted
An 1890 map of Illinois City (East St. Louis) has been uploaded to Flickr by John W. Barriger III National Railroad Library.
One of the most interesting features to me is an Ohio & Mississippi Railroad roundhouse on the west side of Relay Depot.
https://flic.kr/p/2o5RUTW



No comments:

Post a Comment