Sunday, December 19, 2021

Logansport, IN: Pennsy Depots: Panhandle and Vandalia

(Panhandle Satellite, the Panhandle depot was at Melbourne Ave. and 4th Street)
(Vandalia Satellite, I'm guessing the depot was somewhere in the Ottawa Street area.)

See Railroad Hub for the route of the Panhandle (blue lines) and Vandalia (orange lines).

Near the former Panhandle tracks in a nice parking lot is an obvious former depot. This is now a museum.
20180828 4569, northeast corner

southeast corner

The lady in the museum explained that that this was not the Panhandle depot. It was a much larger building. It is in this photo hanging in the museum.

The depot now by the tracks was the Vandalia depot.

She explained that the railroad moved it on flatcars. I imagine it looked something like this. Although I doubt they pulled it with a crane.
Clayton Hnderson shared
A Burros Crane Company self-propelled crane moving the Presque Isle station from it's original location between State Street and Chapman Road to a location 300 feet to the east.
Collections of Oakfield Historical Society

This topo map marks the location of the Panhandle station, but not the Vandalia station.
1955 Logansport Quadrangle @ 1:24,000

Some more depot flavor from the horse & buggy days.
I tried hard to avoid taking a selfie, but because the photo was covered with glass, I could not avoid the reflections. Blowing up the text to camera resolution reveals I had a rather slow shutter speed as well. It looks like "Flood of 1935" to me.



From the spot where I took the photo of the southeast corner of the preserved depot, I turned to my left and looked towards the Wabash River. You can see the crossing sign for the former Panhandle tracks.
I crossed the tracks and looked back to get another view of the museum.

xxxI then turned back to the river to catch the nice riverfront structure they have built. It provides a nice view of the river that is clear of trees.
The steps take you down to the river front. But the water was high so I wasn't going to go down there. I have finally taken a "leaning over the rail" shot that is almost vertical.
Satellite
A satellite image shows a rock river bottom is sometimes exposed.


No comments:

Post a Comment