Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Bridgeport, IL: Feed Mill and CSX Rail Service

(Satellite)

Jim Pearson Photography posted via Dennis DeBruler
They say what you do on New Year’s Day you’ll do all year long and so good friend and fellow railfan, Ryan Scott and I hit the road in southern Indiana this morning at 7am and headed north to Vincennes, Indiana to see if we couldn’t catch anything moving. 
This shot is of CSX L364 heading east over the Wabash River on the CSX Illinois Subdivision, after they dropped off some grain cars at Bridgeport, Illinois on January 1st, 2024. I’ve been trying for several years to catch something crossing over the river here and today was the day!
Tech Info: DJI Mavic 3 Classic Drone, RAW, 22mm, f/2.8, 1/640, ISO 120.

Note the hopper car by the elevator.
Street View, Jul 2023

This view also caught a hopper on the siding.
mike liberman, Dec 2020

I have made a big deal about CSX not servicing grain elevators that can't handle a unit train. I know that CSX provides unit trains for the CGB elevator in Onley because I have caught more than one train in that town. But Jim's photo proves me wrong. CSX will service an elevator that can't handle a unit train. A satellite image shows that the rail siding is not big enough to handle a unit train. And the views above show that CSX will deliver just a single hopper.
Satellite

I fired up Google Earth. In Jun 2022, three cars were delivered.
Google Earth, Jun 2022

There were no cars in Sep 2020, but there were seven cars in Apr 2016. And it looks like there were two big grain trucks in town.

Going back further in Google Earth, it looks like these sidings were rebuilt between Nov 2011 and Sep 2013.

The spouts hanging down from the overhead indicates that it can load hoppers. But I don't see a fall protector. I think OSHA requires that for loading hoppers. Given the Kent sign, the buildings, and the small bins down by the tall building, I presume this is a feed mill. So, are they unloading hoppers with ingredients needed to make the feed?

I didn't notice it in the street view at the top, but this feed mill also has the checkerboard trademark of Purina as well as the Kent trademark. I think this is the first time I've seen a feed mill carry both brands.
Street View, Jul 2023





No comments:

Post a Comment