Monday, January 15, 2024

Mount Holly, NC: 1929-1970s + 1952-2013 466mw Riverbend Gaston Power Station

(Satellite)

Two 1952 units @ 100mw and two 1954 units @ 133mw. The first three units started in 1929 and were retired in the 1970s. [gem]

Keith Kennedy posted
Mount Holly, NC. That is Duke Energy’s Riverbend Steam Station (now decommissioned) in the background.
Randall Hampton: Coal trains used to arrive there regularly behind Clinchfield power.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Keith's post
Thanks for identifying the power plant. I see it is still standing and its yard is used to store empty hoppers. https://maps.app.goo.gl/vAAWWwHKp985yMfv8

Keith Kennedy commented on Dennis' comment
unfortunately it has been torn down.
Dennis DeBruler: Wow, Google Maps has a really old image. I used Google Earth to determine that it is from Sep 2017. I just determined that I was getting an old image because I had the "Globe view" option turned on. When I turned it off, I lost the 3D view option, but I did get the newer image. Live and learn.

Back when it had coal in its storage pile.
GastonGazette, May 23, 2013

GastonGazette, Jun 23, 2015
Duke Energy removed the coal ash from the site.

The railroad was the Seaboard Coast Line (SCL).
1969 Mountain Island Quad @ 24,000

wvncrails, this web site includes a lot of railfan photos including a coal train being pulled by a Seaboard/Family Lines locomotive and two Clinchfield locomotives.

By 1970, both railroads were owned by SCL and they chose to retain the larger Piedmont & Northern depot because it is still standing.
Street View, Aug 2023

I found this depot because it is accurately depicted on this topo map. And this is how I learned that the P&N was owned by the SCL by 1970.
1970 Mount Holly Quad @ 24,000

Another view back when the coal storage was active:
Google Earth, Oct 2009





No comments:

Post a Comment