Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Houghton, MI: SOO/Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic Railyard and Cabooses

(Satellite, not only is the railroad gone, so is the industry)

Rob Kitchen posted
Quiet time in Houghton, Michigan (1975). There are three red wooden cabooses in this view.
Darin Umlauft: A great view of what was. I will be parking my car in the "yard" this weekend as I am visiting my daughter (a junior at Michigan Tech) and going the Northern Michigan - Michigan Tech hockey game.
Dennis DeBruler shared
I found just one red caboose.
Joe Boscoe: SOO cabooses had yellow ends but Red sides…
Dennis DeBruler: Now that I know to look for it, I can see the red on the right-hand caboose.
 
Rob Kitchen posted
Houghton, Michigan, 1975 - The plywood shelter is for the Mining Gazette's forklift. They regularly received boxcars with newsprint rolls.
Thomas Moulds: We used to spot the caboose in front of the depot and I would run a extention cord and plug in to the depot for electricity when I lived in that caboose that wY I had t.v.
Aaron Grace shared
Gone.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Darin's comment
There were two railyards along the shore. Your comment allowed me to determine that this yard was the eastern one. The map labels that railroad as Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic. The railroad on the west side of the Portage Lake Lift Bridge is labeled Copper Range.
1946 Chassell Quad @ 24,000

Rob Kitchen posted
This view gives you a better idea of how East Houghton looked in 1976. I'm coming down Lake Street. Off to the left is Hamar-Quandt. Through the tree on the right is the Soo Line freight station. The vertical yellow posts in front of the car protect a switch stand. Today's Super8 would be pretty much between the semi truck and the vertical tanks behind the train.
Andrew Balcom: How far north does the train go now?
Aaron Grace: Andrew Balcom The tracks I believe are in place to Baraga, MI, but I believe service is as far as L'Anse, MI.
Barry Williams: Aaron Grace soon to be taken up from L'Anse to Baraga

Rob Kitchen posted
Houghton, Michigan, 1975, with a boxcar of newsprint spotted.
Rob Cioletti: Nice caboose reflection in the window.
[Some comments confirm this was the freight house.]

No comments:

Post a Comment