Monday, January 15, 2024

Rudyard, MI: Minneapolis, St Paul & Sault Ste Marie (SOO) Depot

(Satellite)

This is the original SOO railroad, which I label Wisconsin Central to distinguish it from the later SOO.

I love St. Ignace! posted
And so there was Rudyard, Michigan.
Mr. F. D. Underwood, president of the Erie Railroad had named two stations, Rudyard and Kipling, when he had been general manager of the Soo Line, as he liked the work of the writer Rudyard Kipling.
Upon learning of the honor, Rudyard Kipling wrote back to Mr. Underwood with the following poem written on the back of a photograph.
This information is from the Michigan Library Bulletin, Jan-Feb 1924. At that time the poem was in the possession of Addison Wolsey Bronson, a book collector.
KIPLING'S MICHIGAN TWINS
"Wise is the child who knows his sire"
The ancient proverb ran
But wiser far the man who knows
How, where and when his offspring grows
For who the mischief would suppose
I've sons in Michigan?
Yet am I saved from midnight ills
That warp the soul of man
They do not make me walk the floor
Nor hammer on the doctor's door
They deal in wheat and iron-ore
My sons in Michigan
Oh! Tourist in the Pullman car
(By Cook's or Raymond's plan)
Forgive a parent's partial view
But may be you have children too
So let me introduce to you
My sons in Michigan
(Clyde Hendrickson)

Life is easier when a topo map depicts the location of the depot.
1953 Rudyard Quad @ 24,000



No comments:

Post a Comment