Friday, April 12, 2024

Chana, IL: Lost/CB&Q Depot and Grain Elevators

Depot: (Satellite, Main Street used to cross the tracks.)
Old Elevator: (Satellite)
New Elevator: (Satellite)

Larry Foht posted
CB&Q Depot and Train
Chana Illinois
Larry Foht collection :
Thomas Whitt shared

Even though the storage capacity is rather big, the elevator is not rail served because it is on a Class I railroad. The older elevator on the left has slipform silos that would have expanded their original wood elevator. It then expanded some more with galvanized bins.
Street View, Sep 2012

I got this view to confirm that the new elevator was built with jump-form silos. But I also see construction activity. Given the small bins, I wonder if they are adding a feed mill. A lot of Illinois has become crop farming and doesn't need feed mills. I was wondering if there was any livestock farming left in this area. And then I noticed Anderson Feed Company a little further south. That looks rather big to be just a pet food store.
Street View, Aug 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment