Thursday, February 1, 2024

Addison, IL: Lost/IC Depot

(Satellite)

Larry Foht posted
Illinois Central Railroad Depot
Addison Illinois
Larry Foht collection :
Chris John: Was this just north of Lake Street?

Dennis DeBruler commented on Chris' comment
The IC did have a spur that went North past Lake Street. But the spur would not be double tracked. So I think the depot was down in the wye in South Addison. Specifically, south of North Ave and north of the tracks where those two meet.
1953 Elmhurst Quad @ 24,000
My notes have the aerial photos that led to that conclusion, https://towns-and-nature.blogspot.com/2024/02/addison-il-lostic-depot.html

This is what it looked like around Lake Street. None of the buildings along the track struck me as the one in the photo. And then it occurred to me that the spur would not be double tracked so...
1939 04006 Photo from ILHAP

...I looked down by the wye. Given the direction of the platform in the photo, I think it is the rectangle on the west side of the triangle that is bounded by North, Addison and the tracks, and the train is heading West.
1939 01041 Photo from ILHAP

I checked another photo to see if the rectangle was more clear. It is a little better, but not much.
1939 01040 Photo from ILHAP







No comments:

Post a Comment