Saturday, February 3, 2024

Newport, PA: Pennsy Depot and Port Tower

Depot: (Satellite)
Tower: (Satellite, I think the signaling equipment cabinet has reused the foundation.)
 

Street View, Oct 2023

AltoonaWorks posted
Friday Flashback to 1986
Port tower just west of Newport, PA on the Conrail main line.  Notice in the background new signal masts are in place to replace the eastbound signal bridge.
Photo by Dick Bregler
Dan Geedey: I used to run Port tower from 1976-1984. Westbound train had a plug door sticking out and ripped off boards from the front of the tower making a loud boom!
Rob Shuma: Is there still talk of moving the tower by 17th street to the Museum? [I couldn't find a 17th Street in this town, so I wonder where he is talking about.]
Tim Shanahan shared

I thought this was another example where a topo map marks the location of a railroad tower. I included the bend in Oak Hall Road and Buffalo Creek to help correlate this map with today's satellite images.
1952 Newport Quad @ 24,000

Since the location of the signaling equipment cabinet (see Satellite link at the top) did not correspond to the topo map's location, I found an aerial photo. The photo agrees with the location of today's cabinet.
EarthExplorer: Apr 20, 1951 @ 23,600; AR1OW0000010008







No comments:

Post a Comment