Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Cambria C: Cresson, PA: 1955 Cooney Brothers Coal Mine

Office?: (Satellite)
Mine: (Satellite, the trail just south of Coal Road used to be the Pennsy industrial spur to this mine)

Cooney Brothers Coal was established in 1955. [manta]

The comments on the posts below imply that Cooney had more than one mine in the vicinity of Cresson. But the only one I was able to find was on the east side of Lilly, PA. I don't know if these photos were in that pit or not.

Josh Gruse posted
First bucket full Brand New Strip, Brand New dragline.
Stanley Lasky Jr: Had a mining operation next door to Cooney Bros on Pot Ridge mountain in Western PA.
We had a 4600 and a Page 732 all electric 20 cubic yard machine plugged into a on site substation with nearly a mile of extension cord.

Jose Gruse posted three photos with the comment: "Cooney Brothers Coal Co. Cresson, PA."
Wally Albright: My dad retired from Cooneys he ran 6400 pot ridge ,brubaker , he ended at senor he got me hired at senor to drill I helped when we replaced the center ring I believe the # was 64003 I wish I had pictures of it on cribbing with the car body out from underneath
1

2

3

This shows the industrial spur of the Pennsy Pittsburgh Division to a small yard and the tipple.
1963 Cresson Quad @ 24,000

This red-roofed building is on a weird angle because it was along the curve of the industrial spur.
Satellite

No comments:

Post a Comment