Monday, August 12, 2024

Slater, MO: KCS/Chicago & Alton Depot and a Large Grain Elevator

Depot: (Satellite)
Grain: (Satellite)

The depot on the left and a grain elevator on the right.
Street View, Jan 2016

Michael Emerson Avitt posted
Slater, Missouri - December 3, 2009.

It looks like a ground pile facility on the left side of this view, but I could not find evidence of one on a satellite image. I included the pile of ties in the foreground because it is always nice to see some money going into the railroad rather than just to the shareholders and CEO bonuses.
Street View, Jan 2016

Street View, Nov 2016

With the big depot and roundhouse, this must have been a division point. I wonder if it still is.
1940 Marshal Quad @ 62,500

I noticed that there were several cuts of hopper cars and four locomotives in town. I presume that KCS was helping to load a unit train. Also note there are five tank cars. I presume they are delivering fertilizer.
Satellite

1 of several photos posted by Michael Parker
M-VNKC   Mexico MO
Gary Olden shared

I noticed that every street view and Google Earth image had cuts of cars in town. And they were not always hoppers. And the satellite images that had decent resolution also had engines in town. I can't believe the elevator is always loading unit trains. Given the quantity of locomotives that tends to be in town and the pickup action that Michael caught below, does this town also originate a local train?
1 of several photos posted by Michael Parker
M-VNKC making pickup   Slater MO
Gary Olden shared

No comments:

Post a Comment